Each year, bathroom falls injure large numbers of adults, often leading to fractures, traumatic brain injuries, and other impairments. Not surprisingly, entering and exiting the bathtub and shower pose some of the highest fall risks. Stepping over a tub wall is challenging for those with limited mobility. This is true even when the floor is dry, and wet and soapy services make the task even more challenging.
Using grab bars can significantly decrease fall risk when entering or exiting the shower and tub. They provide handholds and extra stability, both when entering and exiting tubs and showers, when moving within tubs and showers, as well as when sitting on or rising from a shower chair.
Shower Grab Bars may be attached to the shower wall and/or to the wall next to the shower entrance. Grab bars attached to the wall may use screws or suction cups. Those with screws will generally bear the most weight and do not have the risk of losing suction. It is important the the screws are placed into studs. Those with suction cups must be secured to a clean, flat surface.
Tub Grab Bars come in two forms, portable and wall-attached. Portable tub grab bars are placed over and clamped to a side wall of the tub, with the grab bar extending upwards from the clamp. Wall-attached grab bars are affixed to the wall may use screws or suction cups. Again, those with screws will generally bear the most weight and do not have the risk of losing suction, and it is important the the screws are placed into studs.
Likewise, grab bars can be useful when sitting down on or rising from a toilet. Older or disabled persons may have limited leg strength or have balance issues, and toilet grab bars can provide leverage, guidance, and support. Toilet Grab Bars also come in two forms. They can either be attached to the wall next to the toilet, or can be a wrap around style, affixed to the back rim of the toilet, with the grab bars curving up on each side of the bowl, than extending forward across the length of each side of the bowl, and then extending down to the floor to provide the support for the front end of the grab bars.
Other useful grab bars for use in the bathroom are floor-to-ceiling models, as well as other styles of wall mounted grab bars. These other grab bars can help with traversing from sink to toilet, tub, or shower, and entering and exiting the room.
To give you a better idea of what is available in each category of grab bar, shown below are three examples of each type of grab bar described on this page. I have selected examples from higher consumer-rated grab bars offered on Amazon. Click the picture of the item or the “Buy Now” button below the description to read more about each item shown.
Note: Despite the name, the “Buy Now” button does not commit you to buy. It is just a link to information. If you happen to choose to buy any item you see below, or any other item you see while on the Amazon site, you can, of course, but will need to enter payment-method information in order to complete a purchase. So browse and research without worry that you are committing to buy anything by clicking a Buy Now button below.
Below are some higher consumer-rated Shower Grab Bars options that you may like.
PIH Bath Shower Grab Bar – DIY Style Shower Bar for Combination – Rail Support Bathroom Balance Bar – Tub, Handicap, Elderly, Injury, Kid, Senior Assist Bath Handle (14 inches)
PIH Bath Shower Grab Bar
- – PIH DIY Style Bathroom Grab Bar as Bath Safety Handle
- – GREAT IN COMBINATION: You Can Take One or More Bars for DIY Combination, Stability, Safety and Grace Looking
- – SAFETY RAIL SUPPORT by High Strength PP Material
- – STAINSESS STEEL SCREWS and Wall Anchors Matched for Easy Installation
Vive Metal Grab Bar – Balance Handrail Shower Assist – Bathroom and Bathtub Mounted Safety Hand Support Rail – Stainless Steel Wall Mount for Handicap, Bath Handle, Elderly, Disabled, Injury (12 Inch)/h5>
White Metal Grab Bar
- – ENHANCES BATHROOM SAFETY: Ideal for those with limited mobility, balance issues or difficulty standing for long periods of time, the Vive metal grab bar provides greater leverage and support in the bathroom and other indoor locations. The white steel grab bar enhances stability for greater independence by minimizing the risk of slips and falls.
- – VERSATILE INSTALLATION OPTIONS: Easily mount the metal grab bar vertically, horizontally or diagonally depending on your particular needs. The white grab bar and included mounting hardware is suitable for installation on acrylic, fiberglass surfaces as well as drywall and plaster walls. Additional mounting hardware will be necessary for securely installing the grab bar on ceramic tiles.
- – DURABLE STAINLESS STEEL: Constructed with a strong stainless steel, the white metal grab bar is corrosion-resistant for exceptional durability and safely supports up to 500 pounds. The steel grab bar measures 1.25” in diameter, creating an easy, secure grip for all hand sizes.
- – CLEAN AND STYLISH: Finished with a smooth white satin finish, the stainless grab bar seamlessly blends with most home decor. Unsightly mounting hardware is safely concealed beneath decorative stainless steel flanges for a sleek, clean appearance.
- – VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day unconditional guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
Oxo Good Grips Stronghold Suction Grip Bar, Brushed Nickel
The OXO good grips suction grip bar is perfect for balance without the bulk. Installation is simple – just push the levers down to activate the suction cups on any smooth, non-porous surface for a secure hold without the need for tools. To remove, just pull up the release tabs to deactivate the suction cups. The sleek design and brushed nickel finish complements any bathroom decor. Warnings: 1. This product is to be used as balance assist only. Do not use as a handrail to support your full body weight. Do not lift yourself up with this product. Do not hang from this product. 2. This product is intended for temporary attachment and should be periodically reapplied as instructed. 3. This product is not a toy. It is not for use by children.
- – POWERFUL SUCTION and comfortable grip provide stability and support in the shower
- – GENEROUS, SOFT GRIPPING SURFACE for comfort and control, underside of bar is non-slip for a secure grip, even when wet
- – WORKS WITH MULTIPLE TILE PATTERNS – Size and distance between suction cups designed to accommodate a variety of tile patterns
- – EASY INSTALLATION – Large, contoured installation levers for easy use – no tools required. Securely attaches to tile, glass and other smooth, non-porous surfaces.
- – For best results, use on smooth glazed surfaces, mirrors or glass. Not recommended for use with textured or porous surfaces including some stone, acrylic or metal.
Below are some higher consumer-rated Tub Grab Bars options that you may like.
Drive Medical Steel Clamp on Tub Rail, White
Grab Bar is tool-free and width adjustable, designed to fit just about any style bathtub
Durable, white, powder-coated steel construction
This Parallel Bathtub Grab Bar Safety Rail by Drive Medical was designed to fit just about any style of bathtub. The attractive white powder coated steel frame is durable and aesthetically pleasing. The angle of the grab bar is parallel to the shower wall. The adjustable width clamp attaches by turning the locking mechanism which tightens the rubber pads on all bath tub contact points. The rubber pads prevents scratching of the tubs surface and ensure a secure fit. The Parallel Bathtub Grab Bar Safety Rail is easy to install without needing tools. Please note this safety rail is not for use on fiberglass tubs.
- – DURABLE
- – WHITE
- – POWDER-COATED STEEL construction; Tool Free installation
- – WIDTH ADJUSTS from 3″ – 7″ and handle design provides secure hand position
- – STAINLESS STEEL locking mechanism and non-wearing rubber pads provide scratch-proof security
- – FITS MOST TUBS (not for use with fiberglass tubs)
- – OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 5″(L) x 3″(W) x 14.5″(H); Adjustable Clamp: 3″-7″; Weight Capacity: 300 lbs
Vive Bathtub Rail – Heavy Duty Bathroom Tub Safety Rail for Elderly, Seniors, Handicap and Disabled – Clamp Railing Bath Support – Adjustable Shower Hand Grip – Handle Assist Grab Bar – Fits Most Tubs/h5>
Bathtub Rail by Vive
Providing additional stability and security when entering or exiting the bathtub, the parallel bathtub rail by Vive easily adjusts to fit most bathtub styles. The scratch resistant bathtub grab bar is constructed with a durable stainless steel with non-marking rubber pads to protect the surface of the bathtub and secure the rail in place.
- – SAFELY ENTER OR EXIT THE TUB: Safely step in or out of the tub with the help of a sturdy bathtub rail. The textured bathtub grab bar provides a comfortable, nonslip grip and supports up to 300 pounds. The secure bathtub safety rail provides extra stability and security for seniors, children and those recovering from injury or surgery.
- – ADJUSTS TO FIT MOST BATHTUBS: Easily adjustable, the durable composite bathtub rail fits most bathtub edges ranging between 3 to 7 inches thick.
- – SCRATCH RESISTANT ERGONOMIC RAIL: Non-wearing rubber pads protect the surface of the bathtub from scratches, scuffs and scrapes during regular use of the safety rail. The ergonomic handrail is 21” high and provides a comfortable, secure grip.
- – SIMPLE TOOL-FREE INSTALLATION: Easily installing on the side of most bathtub styles, the rail uses a lever clamp mechanism to secure the lightweight bathtub rail in place.
- – VIVE GUARANTEE: Lifetime guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
MedGear A-0132B6 Multi-Grip Bath Tub Assisting Bar
Longer, Two-Level Handle
- – ANTI-SLIP GRIP aluminum tubing
- – FITS MOST STANDARD BATH TUBS, wrench included for installation
- – CLAMP PADS protect tubs from scratching & increase stability
- – OFFERS GRIPS IN TWO HEIGHTS (7.9 in & 15.4 in)
- – MAX USER WEIGHT: 250 lbs
Below are some higher consumer-rated Toilet Grab Bars options that you may like.
Vive Stand Alone Toilet Rail – Medical Bathroom Safety Assist Frame with Support Grab Bar Handles & Railings for Elderly, Senior, Handicap & Disabled – Freestanding Commode Stability Handrails
Portable, standalone, with a magazine rack
- – SIT AND STAND SAFELY: Supporting up to 300 pounds, the sturdy, stand alone toilet rail conveniently provides safety and security when sitting down or standing up in the bathroom. Perfect for the elderly, handicapped and for those recovering from injury or surgery, the rail prevents slips and falls for additional peace of mind.
- – EASY TOOL-FREE ASSEMBLY: The freestanding toilet rail is easy to assemble: no tools required. Handles can also be easily removed for convenient storage. Lightweight and durable, the frame is corrosion resistant, perfect for long term use.
- – COMFORTABLE NON SLIP HANDLES: Rail handles are padded with a soft foam for pain-free support. The foam padding creates a comfortable, non-slip surface for a secure grip when sitting or standing. Handles and frame are also easily cleaned by wiping down with a standard disinfectant solution.
- – VERSATILE STANDALONE FRAME: Safety rail base is a wide 26.5”, easily fitting in smaller bathrooms. Freestanding safety rails can be used with standard and elongated toilets or at the sink or vanity. The bottom rails are 19” deep, adding tip-proof stability to the frame.
- – VIVE LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Unconditional lifetime guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence
OasisSpace Stand Alone Toilet Safety Rail – Heavy Duty Medical Toilet Safety Frame for Elderly, Handicap and Disabled – Adjustable Bathroom Toilet Handrails, Width Adjustable Design, Fit Any Toilet
Portable, standalone, with a magazine rack
- – SECURE, EASY TO USE. Our Toilet Safety Frame is FDA cleared, the highest standard in medical Bathroom Toilet Rail; Tool-Free, Easy to assemble in 2 minutes; much quicker than the competition.
- – WIDTH ADJUSTABLE DESIGN, FIT ANY TOILET. The foldable toilet handicap rails can be used with any toilet. Width Adjustable Design( adjustable from 20” to 25″) , Fit Any Toilet. The toilet support rails elderly handle height is also adjustable from 24” to 31″
- – SAFE AND DURABLE. Constructed with a corrosion-resistant aluminum frame, this compact safety toilet rail supports up to 300 pounds. Good for the elderly, seniors, adults, disabled, pregnant women
- – SITTING AND RISING AID. This free-standing bathroom safety frame provides a stable support for users to sit or rise from a commode. Ideal for seniors, handicapped or those with arthritis and/or those recovering from injury/surgery. This safety rail prevents accidental slips or falls, common in the bathroom.
- – PADDED GRIP and NON-SLIP TIP. Toilet handrails are padded with a soft rubber for superior support. The textured rubber handles create a comfortable, non-slip surface for a safe and secure grip when sitting or standing. Each outside leg is capped with a non-skid, non-slip tip for a safe and secure experience.
Stainless Toilet Safety Rails, WochiTV Handicap Grab Bars for Elderly, Steel Flip-Up Bathroom Grab Bar with Paper Holder, Stainless Steel Toilet Arms Handicapped Assist Medical Accessories 23.6 INCH
The new 304 stainless steel grab bars designed by WochiTV are ideal for the elderly, pregnant women, handicapped or those with arthritis and those recovering from injury/surgery.
– HIGH QUALITY Handicap Grab Bars. Grab bars are made of 304 stainless steel, the diameter of 35mm and the inner wall thickness is 1.5mm. Sturdy, durable, up to 300KG load-bearing. Long life service of this safety bar.
– ERGONOMIC DESIGN & Saving Space. The safety bar is designed according to human body mechanics, with strong bearing capacity, firmer and safer. Flip-up design, 90°vertical rotation, the folding grab bar help saving precious bathroom space.
– PRACTICAL Health Care. Toilet arms support is designed for pregnant women, the elderly and the disabled individuals, post-operative mobility-impaired people. We pay attention to the people who you love, and guards their safety.
– EASY INTALLATION. Toilet rails come up with completed accessories and ensure long-lasting service life. You can make this grab handles be your bathroom helper within short time. Just follow the instruction manual, easily attaches to the wall.
– PROFESSIONAL WARRANTY. We provide a warranty for 90 days with free refund or re-send a new item, no return necessary. Please feel free to contact our customer service on Amazon if you have any question of the product or installation. We promise you 100% satisfaction service.
Below are some higher consumer-rated Other Bathroom Grab Bars options that you may like.
Stander Security Pole, Elderly Tension Mounted Floor to Ceiling Transfer Pole, Bathroom Safety Assist Grab Bar and Stability Rail with Padded Handle, Iceberg White
The Security Pole from Stander provides safe, secure support for sitting, standing, or transferring a loved one to a walker, wheelchair, or other mobility device. The slim design makes for an easy fit in tight spaces; ideal for bathroom safety, as a grab bar at your bedside, or next to your favorite sofa or chair as an extra handle to prevent falls. Accommodates 7 to 10-foot flat ceilings. The tension mounted Security Pole comes in 2 53-inch pieces and includes its own wrench for assembly and installation, making it easy to move and reinstall in a different room without permanently altering your home. While it is not necessary to attach the Security Pole to the floor or ceiling, screws are included for permanent installation. The rubber pads included at the top and bottom of the tension pole keep floors and ceilings damage free. As with all our products, the Security Pole will seamlessly blend in with your home décor while offering the extra help you need.
- – PREVENT FALLS: The Stander security pole with cushioned cell foam grip can provide safety and stability when transitioning between standing and sitting, stepping over bathtub or shower ledges, or getting into bed; safely supports up to 300 pounds of weight
- – HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE AND TENSION MOUNTED: Adjust the floor to ceiling transfer pole to fit flat ceilings measuring from 7 to 10 feet tall; the included rubber pads protect both your ceiling and floor from damage
- – VERSATILE: Use as a bathroom grab bar, chair standing handle, wheelchair transfer pole, or as a bedside support handle; the comfortable padded handle provides a natural location for the user to firmly grip the grab bar when standing or sitting
- – DURABLE AND MODERN DESIGN: Replace bulky toilet rails and protruding handrails with our slim, multipurpose pole; the mobility pole can be installed in any room without permanently altering your home, no wall mounts or screws needed; rust resistant zinc plated steel with durable powder coat finish, available in either Iceberg White or Metallic Black
- – HIGH QUALITY AND EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Easily assemble and securely install the Security Pole within minutes; each pole includes all the needed equipment for assembly, no additional tools required
Signature Life Sure Stand Pole (Metallic Gray)
Sure Stand Security Pole
- – PREVENT FALLS: The Signature Life security pole with adjustable curve hand grips can provide safety and stability when transitioning between standing and sitting, stepping over bathtub or shower ledges, or getting into bed; the 2 included Sure Stand grab bars can be positioned anywhere along the pole; safely supports up to 300 pounds of weight
- – HEIGHT ADJUSTABLE AND TENSION MOUNTED: Adjust the floor to ceiling transfer pole to fit flat or vaulted ceilings measuring from 7 to 10 feet tall; 2-foot extension piece available for 10 to 12-foot ceilings; the included rubber pads protect both your ceiling and floor from damage
- – VERSATILE: Use as a bathroom grab bar, chair standing handle, wheelchair transfer pole, or as a bedside support handle; the comfortable padded handle can be installed anywhere on the pole, allowing the user to choose a custom location to firmly grip the grab bar; padded handgrips allow the user to firmly grasp the support handles when standing or sitting
- – DURABLE AND MODERN DESIGN: Replace bulky toilet rails and protruding handrails with our slim, multipurpose pole; the mobility pole can be installed in any room without permanently altering your home, no wall mounts or screws needed when used on flat ceilings; rust resistant aluminum with durable anodized finish, available in either Deep Bronze or Graphite
- – HIGH QUALITY AND EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Easily assemble and securely install the Sure Stand Pole within minutes; each pole includes all the needed equipment for assembly, no additional tools required
Lifeline Home Mobility Grab Bar – Wave Design | Right Hand | White | 36 Inch
Support with added security and appeal. The unique design features of the Life Line collection grab bars will not only offer extra support and confidence you need but the style and appeal you desire as well. These elegant grab bars add a stylish and functional feature to your bathroom decor and blend into your bathroom as opposed to that traditional institutional look. The Wave Grab Bar (mounted horizontally or vertically) is very unique and debonair. Its smart design is both sound and secure as well as stylish. Fashioned with a subtle wave like bend, its one of a kind modern look is both pleasing to the hand and eye.
- – ADA compliant safety and mobility bar supports 400 lb with proper installation
- – Stainless steel Type 304 will not rust in shower, bath or outdoors
- – Wall mounted | Concealed screw covers for clean look
- – Slip prevention aid in bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, home and office
- – Daily assist for seniors, physically disabled and home care
Return to Bathroom page